A Basic Tool Kit for your Aircraft
The following list covers a basic set of tools which will enable you, as an owner, to carry out simple maintenance whilst on trips. It will enable you to change spark plugs and change tyres and tubes, etc.
- 7/8 AF deep socket and bar for spark plugs
- 3/8, 7/16 & 1/2 AF open end spanners
- 7/16" & 1/2" socket spanners
- No. 2 Phillips screwdriver
- Blade screwdriver
- Needle nose pliers
- Some .032" lockwire
- A couple of spare spark plugs to suit your engine
- A couple of 1/8" split pins for wheel nuts
- Multi-grips or shifter spanner
- Electrical tape
The above kit doesn't weigh much but can be handy. The best style of screwdriver is one with interchangeable bits. When Phillips screwdriver tips get worn down, discard them as they slip and damage the screws, causing more problems.