2017 End of Year Function
AIRTOURER ASSOCIATION END OF YEAR FUNCTION
25-26 NOV 2017
KYNETON and CASTLEMAINE
KEEP CHECKING FOR UPDATES
- Saturday morning arrivals at KTN where fuel is available. Morning tea will also be on hand.
- 1145 bus departs for a short tour around Kyneton Town area, ending at the historic house St Agnes. The property is still a family home and is not open to visitors but we will be treated with a walking tour around the outside of the house, stables and gardens. This will be followed by a catered light lunch in the grounds.
St. Agnes was part of a vast area squatted on during the 1830’s it is steeped in history,as it goes back to the first settlement of the area. Mr. Richard Wedge arrived in the district in1835, and took up the land which included St Agnes Station in 1838. By 1850 St Agnes station “comprised all the country lying between the Campaspe and Coliban Rivers, from Carlesruhe to Malmsbury, it was a vast holding!
A small hamlet grew around the homestead of Edward Argyle who had built Rock House on the hill behind. It is still called ‘St Agnes Hill ‘and predated the township of Kyneton which was established on the other side of the river. Edward’s son, later became Sir Stanley Argyle, Premier of Victoria. St Agnes homestead also prospered, as it lay on the route to the goldfields in Bendigo and the diggers were supplied with meat and grain. There are still old bluestone Mills,Ward’sMill and Degraves Mill in the area.
During the 1870’s, a splendid formal wing was added on a grand scale with all the features found in a Victorian home of the era. There were high ceilings, deep bay windows, elaborate cornices and ceiling roses,marble fireplaces, cedar doors and beautifully executed graining on doors, windows and skirtings. The verandahs had lacework and the facades had beautiful tuck-pointing. A huge 2 room cellar included an area for hanging meat,a wine store and 4 inch thick slate bench to keep diary products cool.
The two storey 25 square brick stables were built in the 1870’s with three stalls for carriage horses and a stallion stall, as well as a tack room with a fireplace to keep the saddles warm! The extensive lofts were once used to store hay with trapdoors to drop the hay straight in to the stalls below. A huge cobbled courtyard is enclosed by a brick fence and a delightful small outbuilding was used for doves.
- 1430 the bus departs for Castlemaine with stops at the Burke and Wills monument and the Castlemaine Mill. After which we will settle in to our accommodation.
Starting as the Castlemaine Woollen Mill in 1875, and finishing as Victoria Carpets in 2013, The Mill is transforming into a place for food and artisan manufacturing, a part of Castlemaine’s vibrancy. On-site in our food precinct are individual small businesses: café, coffee roastery, wine, ice-cream, bread, cakes, beer, and more. Our artisan precinct includes furniture makers, and metal craftsmen.
Our vintage precinct – home of Castlemaine Vintage Bazaar and Platform No. 5, offer stallholder market-style spaces to sell vintage, re-purposed, hand-made and 2nd hand goods.
- 1800 bus pick up for The 5 Flags Hotel at Campbells Creek for dinner. Order and pay for your own food and drinks. The bus returns to the accommodation.
- TIME TBA Bus pick up for a group breakfast at Safts Café, which is a short walk across the street from the famous Restorers Barn our last stop off in Castlemaine.
- The bus returns to Kyneton via the airfield. If anyone wishes to stay longer for lunch this can be accommodated with a later return to the airfield.